The International Association of Byzantine Studies (AIEB) was established in 1948, shortly after World War II. Its foundation emerged from the Byzantine congresses taking place at that time.
The International Bureau, consisting of representatives of all member national committees, constitutes the permanent executive body of the AIEB (see Statutes).
From its initial stage the AIEB, under the presidency of Paul Lemerle and following the proposal of Dionysios Zakythinos, took a decision to publish the Bulletin d'Information et de Coordination aiming at promoting Byzantine studies at an international level. [...]